Thursday, September 30, 2010

No more Binky... kind of


Tea Party with her Little People

So, last week, I was driving up to my parents house when I realized that I had forgotten to pack Katie's Binky.... and we were going to stay there for 2 nights. I could have turned around to get it (we were 5 minutes away) but I decided not to turn around and get it... I was gonna risk it.

So, I told Katie that Mommy left her binky at home by mistake and she was going to have to go to sleep without it. So, she kept saying - Binky home.. binky home.

The drive to the mimi and grumps house was a SUCCESS... She slept for the first time in I don't know how long, without a binky in the car and never once asked for it.

So at my parents house I decided I wasn't going to go buy another one. We were putting her to bed that night without it. So, at bedtime, we told her that she was a big girl and that she didn't need her binky anymore and she said... Binky home.... Went to bed without it - no tears or anything - I couldn't believe it!!!!

Day 2 - nap-time... Grumps wanted a cheeseburger.... and what pregnant lady would turn down a cheeseburger? So, Mimi, volunteered to stay with Katie while she slept.... long story short... Katie didn't nap that day... she wasn't asking for her binky - but she wasn't settling down either. Plus we thought she was having pooping issues so we kind of figured she wouldn't nap that day.

Day 2 - night time.... She went to bed without asking for binky.

Day 3 - we headed home and I told Katie that Daddy had taken Binky to work and she says... No Binky home... so I told her again that Daddy had taken it to work. She didn't nap that day.
But she went to bed at night without ever asking for it.

Day 4 - She fought and fought and fought a nap and finally cried herself to sleep. It was pitiful!!
but she went to bed at night again without it.

Day 5 - I was alone with her and she threw a FIT at naptime... so I broke down and gave it to her and she settled down in under 2 minutes and was asleep for 2.5 hours.

So... we didn't totally win... but we didn't totally lose either. She gets it for naps and it works like a charm - and she doesn't ask for it at bedtime... so we are tied 1 - 1.

As for talking - Katie is officially talking. I don't mean saying words- I mean sentences and questions and actual conversations. She also sings songs from memory. Jingle Bells, Peanut Butter and Jelly, almost the complete ABC song, Wheels on the Bus, and her current favorite Happy Birthday and Ring around the Rosie. There is no such thing as quiet in my house anymore.. except for naptime - which is where I recharge my sanity every day:)


We were signed up to go back to a mommy and me class (which she LOVES) but the program was temporarily moved to a location that was just really unsafe and not good for toddlers...(bad lighting and tables blocking exits so they wouldn't run away type of thing...) PLUS they overbooked the kids so it was total chaos... so I pulled her out - which I still feel guilty about because she LOVES it. I tried to find an alternative... but they are 3 times the amount of money that our original one was going to be and I just can't see spending that kind of money on her right now. We have at least 1 or 2 play dates a week and I take her to story time at Barnes and Noble and I am researching The Little Gym and My Gym which are supposed to be lots of fun... but they are just so much money... I'm talking more than a gym membership money - so for now - we are waiting until the next YMCA program opens up at a better location.

As for baby number 2 - I'm not quite as tired anymore and the headaches have subsided.. but the nausea is worse. I don't ever throw up so I am SUPER LUCKY - as I can be totally nauseous and still eat cheesy fries at the same time. In fact, the other day - I was eating a salad and I looked down and saw a bug in it... so I said... Oh my god there is a bug in my salad... so my mom JUMPED UP and grabbed my plate and took it away and calmly said... it's ok, it's ok - we can have something else... she was nervous because she said when she was pregnant with me and Mike, if she had seen that, she would have been throwing up food from 3 days prior!!! So, I know I'm lucky but it doesn't make it any more comfortable.

O.k. that's our update for now. Katie is going to sleep now and baby #2 needs some ice cream!


1 comment:

Baby Payne said...

At least katie is still taking a nap. it was a sad day in our house when luke stopped taking naps, so enjoy it while it lasts!