Friday, September 3, 2010

My little helper

Yesterday I had some sort of super human pregnancy energy or something... Or perhaps I finally got sick of not having food in the house - either way I decided I was gonna COOK!

So, first we made muffins.... I let Katie help me by pouring the water into the muffin mix. (I separated the 3/4 cup or water into 1/4 portions so that if she "lost" some, we'd know how much more we had to put in) It worked well... she put all 3 cups of water in the mix perfectly!!!

Then, I let her put the muffin cups in the pan for me. She took this job very seriously:)




Then we were able to eat the muffins for lunch before nap time. (Fiber One Apple cinnamon muffin mix... SO YUMMY!!!! I added some wheat germ too for extra kick)



Then I decided to try to make Katie Cod Fish Cakes. Yes, I DETEST fish of all kinds. But I know it's healthy and we were successful in having her eat Salmon sticks that we bought at Whole Foods, so I figured I could suck it up and be a good mom and make her some homemade 100% REAL food, fish cakes.

The recipe was easy. Mashed potato, a little parsley, steamed cod (it smelled awful and I had to clean every pot and pan and utensil that touched the fish as soon as I used it to make sure the smell didn't linger) a little parmesan cheese, egg and salt... Then you form them into little patties and coat them in breadcrumbs and pan fry. There was also a recipe for a lemon, yogurt dipping sauce which I made for her and she seemed to like.

Then I had purchased apples to make apple crisp - so I figured PERFECT I could bake the apple crisp right after making the fish and it would overpower the fish smell... which worked!! Except my apple to crisp ratio was off and it ended up being Crisp with a few cooked down apples underneath!! Better luck next time!!!!!!

I have decided to start cooking more often. I mean, really cooking. Not reheating or mixing a few things together... but things like her cod cakes. (which I now have some in the freezer and I know everything that went in them and they will take 5 minutes to cook when it's time to make them for her)

Happy Weekend!!!!


No comments: